Descartes Unites the People and Technology that Move the World
The need for efficient, secure, and agile supply chains and logistics operations has become ever more critical and complex. By combining innovative technology, powerful trade intelligence and the reach of our network, Descartes helps get goods, information, transportation assets, and people where they’re needed, when they’re needed.
We’re one of the most broadly deployed logistics and supply chain technology companies in the world. More than 22,000 customers around the globe use our cloud-based solutions to transform the way they move inventory and information to enhance productivity, better serve customers, thrive competitively, keep pace with evolving regulations, and respond to rapidly changing market conditions. Descartes is publicly traded (Nasdaq:DSGX, TSX:DSG) with headquarters in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, and offices and partners around the world. With record financial performance for more than 16 years, we lead the industry in innovation investment. Every day, logistics service providers, manufacturers, retailers, distributors, and other logistics-intensive businesses of all sizes rely on our scale, stability, and comprehensive solution footprint to move what’s most important to them. Learn more at www.descartes.com.
We’re growing fast and invite you to join our amazing team.
Descartes Systems Group is hiring a Payroll and Benefits Administrator to join our Total Rewards team, reporting to the Total Rewards Manager. The role will be responsible for accurately processing payroll and administering employee benefits programs in Canada and the United States. This is a 100% remote position based in Canada.
What is in it for you?
You will have the opportunity to work with an energetic and friendly team who are innovative and passionate, with a genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion. The ideal candidate will enjoy supporting a growing organization of over 1,000 employees in North America. We are a global company with 2,000+ employees in 26 countries. We offer competitive benefits, mentorship, and on-the-job training to support your growth.
• Prepare and process payroll for Canada and the US on a semi-monthly basis.
• Accurately update employee data in payroll systems for newly hired, inactive and terminated employees.
• Manage month-end audits between payroll and other HRIS systems to ensure payroll is accurate.
• Performs calculations and manual adjustments to payroll for remittances, vacation accruals, garnishments, and other related obligations.
• Participate in year-end payroll processes for Canada (Ontario and Quebec) and the US.
• Act as a primary point of contact for employee inquiries on payroll related questions.
• Participate and assist in payroll projects including new HRIS implementation.
• Prepare ad-hoc payroll reports for Finance and HR.
• Administer benefits in Canada and the US including insurance plans and leave of absences. Update employee benefits enrollment for new employees, changes, and terminations.
• Process monthly benefits billing from various providers. Review and validate billing for payment in a timely manner.
• Work closely with employees and benefits providers. Act as main point of contact for employees on benefits related questions.
• Partner with the HR team on annual benefits open enrollment activities including annual renewal agreements, employee communication and HRIS setup for open enrollment period.
• Responsible for accurately updating payroll with changes in benefit deductions.
• Maintain and update employee data in provider sites.
• Assist HR team in ad-hoc benefits related projects.
Experience and Qualifications:
• Two years or more of experience in payroll and/or benefits.
• General knowledge on payroll regulatory requirements.
• Comfortable working in Microsoft Excel using formulas including lookups and pivot tables.
• Detail-oriented and ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
• Excellent communication skills and collaborate effectively with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Accredited certification in payroll in Canada or the US is an asset.
• Fluent in English required, French is not required but considered an asset.
Location: This is a remote opportunity open to applicants authorized to work in Canada. #LI-Remote
As we scale, we’re looking for new doers, collaborators and innovators to join Descartes in uniting the people and technology that move the world as the Global Leader in Logistics and Supply Chain Technology. We’re entrepreneurial, hardworking, geeky-in-a-good way problem solvers. Guided by our values, we nurture a TEAM focused culture that invests in people and creates opportunities for advancement across a broad spectrum of career paths. We prioritize work-life balance and foster an environment with the space to take ownership, to be heard, and to carve a path for your individual accomplishments to help drive our success. At Descartes, everyone has a voice and the best idea wins, regardless of who makes it. We offer competitive compensation, great benefits, remote and flexible work hours, and the opportunity to join a company on an awesome mission with a great existing team and trajectory.
Descartes also has a deep sense of environmental responsibility. Learn more about how we helped our customers save over 552,000 metric tons of CO2 in 2020 by reducing fuel and paper consumption: https://www.descartes.com/who-we-are/social-responsibility-sustainability/environmental-impact. Join a team that’s committed to working with customers to conserve resources and enhance sustainability.
If you feel you have 70% of the qualifications we are looking for, and Descartes sounds like the team and the mission you want to be part of, apply now. We can’t promise it will be a fit, but we do promise to consider your experience.
Through COVID-19, we implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview and onboard candidates by video using Microsoft TEAMS. We record interviews and use them strictly for quality assurance, training and general record keeping purposes. Should you have any questions about this process, please connect with our hiring team in advance of scheduled interviews. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
We are an Equal Employment employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please review our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics at Descartes.com. Descartes is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. Applicants in North America with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can email us at [email protected]. Provide your name and contact information along with the accommodation needed to assist you with the application process. Your request will be responded to as soon as possible. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.