Descartes Unites the People and Technology that Move the World
The need for efficient, secure, and agile supply chains and logistics operations has become ever more critical and complex. By combining innovative technology, powerful trade intelligence and the reach of our network, Descartes helps get goods, information, transportation assets, and people where they’re needed, when they’re needed.
We’re one of the most broadly deployed logistics and supply chain technology companies in the world. More than 22,000 customers around the globe use our cloud-based solutions to transform the way they move inventory and information to enhance productivity, better serve customers, thrive competitively, keep pace with evolving regulations, and respond to rapidly changing market conditions. Descartes is publicly traded (Nasdaq:DSGX, TSX:DSG) with headquarters in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, and offices and partners around the world. With record financial performance for more than 16 years, we lead the industry in innovation investment. Every day, logistics service providers, manufacturers, retailers, distributors, and other logistics-intensive businesses of all sizes rely on our scale, stability, and comprehensive solution footprint to move what’s most important to them. Learn more at www.descartes.com.
We’re growing fast and invite you to join our amazing team.
Descartes eCommerce shipping tools, including XPSship and REMS / Webship, provide integrated shipping software and solutions for a wide range of businesses, enabling them to be more efficient and effective in their shipping and logistics processes. We are looking for a Business Analyst to join our growing team in Utah.
This successful employee will have the following responsibilities:
• Operational data recognition reporting and pre-finance report for Webship subscriptions. Ensure the report provided to finance reflects the true activity.
• Workbook preparation for operational analysis (carrier splits, billing review from business as to timing of payments from carriers and others to follow expected revenues, did we get the extra etc.)
• SQL reporting with Development to answer variance questions
• Prepay reconciliation, record any meter additions, monitor USPS Claims refunded.
• Reconcile Unearned Income/Prepay Balances and activity, make sure various transactions are billed to customers (denied voids, APVs, etc.)
• SQL reporting with Development to answer variance questions
• Review of prepay register activity if it doesn’t balance to GL. Find what was missed or added creating the difference.”
• Answer questions about how specific transactions get recorded for accurate reporting in Prepay register
• Review carrier expenses and compare to customer billing totals
• Customer level revenue reporting (top customers, declining usage, churn, etc.)
• Monitor billing of and reconciliation of APVs, Denied Voids, Pay-On-Use
• Monitor milestones in vendor contracts for other billings. For example, second part of Cover Genius bonus
• Calculate and report partner revenue share/rebates and monitor for timely receipt of payment.
• Revenue by category, review + / – to verify everything was billed
• Assist with development of new processes tied to financial reporting/requirements.
• Work with various departments to determine how to implement database changes
• Client rate increase analysis for annual contract review
• Carrier rate comparison analysis to determine vendor selection for national, regional, and international carrier rates.
• Analysis on how rate changes for various carrier/service charges might impact overall revenue based on service volume
• Client uptrend / downtrend analysis of shipping volume by carrier by service
• Operational volume reporting to carriers and vendors for contract and rates negotiation
• “What if” analysis for allocating marketing and operational resources on various services
• Other Ad hoc reporting as requested – financial, managerial, QBR preparation, client trends, etc.
• Ability to look for trends and dig into the details to knowledgeably report results.
• Natural inclination to look for solutions, to methodically evaluate a situation and provide recommendations and drive issues through to successful conclusion/resolution.
• Strong attention to detail and strong work ethic. A self-starter who is comfortable rolling up sleeves and being a doer as well as a leader.
• Excellent analytical and interpretive skills, intellectual rigor, and ability to think independently, and outside the box.
• An unquestionable ability to deliver results under tight deadlines and time pressures.
• Comfortable working with sensitive data and able to maintain a high degree of discretion.
• Professional and personal integrity beyond reproach.
• Extensive experience with data analysis, data mining, and creating ad hoc reports.
• General understanding of accounting principles
• Ability to work with SQL and write Transact-SQL queries
• Ability to work with complex relational databases and web-based applications
• Ability to quickly learn new skills and systems
• Ability to work with large data sets to analyze operational activities and report results to executives.
• Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills
• Detail-oriented and capable of delivering a high level of accuracy
• Good Organizational skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication with others in a collaborative technology team environment
• Processes modeling skills
• Independently motivated and proactive outlook to anticipate and plan for future opportunities
• Strong attention to detail
• Focus on task completion and deadlines
• Experience with Agile/Scrum methodology
Location: This position will require the employee to come to our office located in American Fork, Utah.
Salary Range: $75,000 USD to $85,000 USD “Compensation information provided is a good faith estimate for this position only. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include your specific skills as well as the years of experience you have. Similar positions located in different geographic regions will not necessarily receive the same compensation or same currency.”
As we scale, we’re looking for new doers, collaborators and innovators to join Descartes in uniting the people and technology that move the world as the Global Leader in Logistics and Supply Chain Technology. We’re entrepreneurial, hardworking, geeky-in-a-good way problem solvers. Guided by our values, we nurture a TEAM focused culture that invests in people and creates opportunities for advancement across a broad spectrum of career paths. We prioritize work-life balance and foster an environment with the space to take ownership, to be heard, and to carve a path for your individual accomplishments to help drive our success.
Descartes also has a deep sense of environmental responsibility. Learn more about how we helped our customers save over 552,000 metric tons of CO2 in 2020 by reducing fuel and paper consumption: https://www.descartes.com/who-we-are/social-responsibility-sustainability/environmental-impact. Join a team that’s committed to working with customers to conserve resources and enhance sustainability.
At Descartes, everyone has a voice and the best argument wins, regardless of who makes it. We offer competitive compensation, great benefits, remote and flexible work hours, and the opportunity to join a company on an awesome mission with a great existing team and trajectory. If you feel you have 70% of the qualifications we are looking for, and Descartes sounds like the team and the mission you want to be part of, apply now. We can’t promise it will be a fit, but we do promise to consider your experience.
Through COVID-19, we implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview and onboard candidates by video using Microsoft TEAMS. We record interviews and use them strictly for quality assurance, training and general record keeping purposes. Should you have any questions about this process, please connect with our hiring team in advance of scheduled interviews. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please review our EEO is the Law, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Statement, EEO/AA Statement. Descartes participates in the E-Verify program. Please click below to learn more about the E-Verify program. Notice of E-Verify Participation Right to Work (English and Spanish).
Descartes is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. Applicants in North America with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can email us at [email protected]. Provide your name and contact information along with the accommodation needed to assist you with the application process. Your request will be responded to as soon as possible. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.