Descartes Unites the People and Technology that Move the World
The need for efficient, secure, and agile supply chains and logistics operations has become ever more critical and complex. By combining innovative technology, powerful trade intelligence and the reach of our network, Descartes helps get goods, information, transportation assets, and people where they’re needed, when they’re needed.
We’re one of the most broadly deployed logistics and supply chain technology companies in the world. More than 22,000 customers around the globe use our cloud-based solutions to transform the way they move inventory and information to enhance productivity, better serve customers, thrive competitively, keep pace with evolving regulations, and respond to rapidly changing market conditions. Descartes is publicly traded (Nasdaq:DSGX, TSX:DSG) with headquarters in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, and offices and partners around the world. With record financial performance for more than 16 years, we lead the industry in innovation investment. Every day, logistics service providers, manufacturers, retailers, distributors, and other logistics-intensive businesses of all sizes rely on our scale, stability, and comprehensive solution footprint to move what’s most important to them. Learn more at www.descartes.com.
We’re growing fast and invite you to join our amazing team.
Descartes GroundCloud is providing technology solutions to improve the safety, efficiency, compliance, and profitability of our delivery logistics customers. We build and integrate projects like scheduling systems, routing and mapping solutions, video, and messaging services and more. We strive to create as much as we can in house and integrate where it makes sense to bring in outside solutions. We are a fun and fast paced team that deploys real life features that 50,000 + drivers use daily! We’re looking for people who have a passion for craftsmanship and a belief in our mission. Our team is made up of passionate, humble, and creative people who harness and deploy technology to create a safer world while increasing job satisfaction for professional drivers.
We are seeking a full stack developer to help accelerate our core software applications. Our ideal candidate has at least years 3 years of strong technical experience in a collaborative team environment that has delivered scalable, secure, and highly available systems.
• Develop highly interactive, user friendly, and feature rich applications.
• Strong self-starter and excellent problem-solving skills are a must.
• Ability to break down complex systems into executable features/tasks with minimal amount of oversight or supervision.
• Discuss design and architecture with other engineering teammates.
• Demonstrate leadership and provide guidance to other teams.
• Contribute towards evolving the application architecture.
• Help others to learn and grow in their skills.
• Experience and ability to support other developers (Code reviews, project requirements, testing, versions control management, etc.)
• Work directly with Engineering, Product, Sales, Support, Executive Team to create, enhance, maintain, and deploy applications.
• Constantly use best practices by coding small, utilizing short lived branches, using feature toggles, building APIs, creating and maintaining unit tests, applying modern frameworks and design patterns, actively reducing technical debt, and continuously delivering by merging/releasing daily.
Technology We Use:
• Vue.js (SFCs, Vuex, VuexORM)
• Bootstrap, SCSS
• Python 3
• Django (DRF)
• Jest, PyTest, Black, ESLint, Babel, Webpack
• Google Cloud Platform
• MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS
• And Many More.
• 3 or more years of Software development experience designing, building and deploying reliable and scalable SPA and MPA.
• A history and passion for creating pragmatic UI/UX for a diverse user base.
• Significant front-end development experience in Vue/Vuex or similar modern frontend framework is a requirement.
• Experience creating modular reusable frontend components.
• Recent and in-depth experience building and consuming RESTful JSON APIs
• Experience in a TDD environment where every PR includes appropriate unit and functional tests.
• Experience working in an agile CI/CD environment.
• Proficiency in Python, Ruby, or Node.js.
• Experienced with object-oriented design practices and patterns.
• Experience using Miro, Figma, Invision, Zeplin.
• Working knowledge of Git and version control systems.
• Experience with *nix systems and comfortable on a command line.
• A team player that can lend ideas to a project and be vocal about potential pitfalls.
• Experience with Django, Django ORM, DRF.
Any of these would great:
• Proficiency with Google Maps API or other 3rd party mapping and routing platforms.
• Proficiency designing new components in Miro, Figma, Invision, or Zeplin.
• DevOps experience deploying, maintaining, and monitoring infrastructure in GCP.
• Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and Ansible.
• Understanding of distributed tasks with Celery+RabbitMQ.
• Experience with PostGIS.
• Experience developing Logistics or Mapping software.
• Experience with Document and Key/Value data stores.
• Experience with vehicle management.
• Experience with time keeping or scheduling systems.
• Experience refactoring legacy codebases to modern practices.
Location: This is a remote position, open to applicants authorized to work in Canada. #LI-Remote
As we scale, we’re looking for new doers, collaborators and innovators to join Descartes in uniting the people and technology that move the world as the Global Leader in Logistics and Supply Chain Technology. We’re entrepreneurial, hardworking, geeky-in-a-good way problem solvers. Guided by our values, we nurture a TEAM focused culture that invests in people and creates opportunities for advancement across a broad spectrum of career paths. We prioritize work-life balance and foster an environment with the space to take ownership, to be heard, and to carve a path for your individual accomplishments to help drive our success. At Descartes, everyone has a voice and the best idea wins, regardless of who makes it. We offer competitive compensation, great benefits, remote and flexible work hours, and the opportunity to join a company on an awesome mission with a great existing team and trajectory.
Descartes also has a deep sense of environmental responsibility. Learn more about how we helped our customers save over 552,000 metric tons of CO2 in 2020 by reducing fuel and paper consumption: https://www.descartes.com/who-we-are/social-responsibility-sustainability/environmental-impact. Join a team that’s committed to working with customers to conserve resources and enhance sustainability.
If you feel you have 70% of the qualifications we are looking for, and Descartes sounds like the team and the mission you want to be part of, apply now. We can’t promise it will be a fit, but we do promise to consider your experience.
Through COVID-19, we implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview and onboard candidates by video using Microsoft TEAMS. We record interviews and use them strictly for quality assurance, training and general record keeping purposes. Should you have any questions about this process, please connect with our hiring team in advance of scheduled interviews. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
We are an Equal Employment employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please review our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics at Descartes.com. Descartes is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. Applicants in North America with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can email us at [email protected]. Provide your name and contact information along with the accommodation needed to assist you with the application process. Your request will be responded to as soon as possible. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.