Descartes Unites the People and Technology that Move the World
The need for efficient, secure, and agile supply chains and logistics operations has become ever more critical and complex. By combining innovative technology, powerful trade intelligence and the reach of our network, Descartes helps get goods, information, transportation assets, and people where they’re needed, when they’re needed.
We’re one of the most broadly deployed logistics and supply chain technology companies in the world. More than 22,000 customers around the globe use our cloud-based solutions to transform the way they move inventory and information to enhance productivity, better serve customers, thrive competitively, keep pace with evolving regulations, and respond to rapidly changing market conditions. Descartes is publicly traded (Nasdaq:DSGX, TSX:DSG) with headquarters in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, and offices and partners around the world. With record financial performance for more than 16 years, we lead the industry in innovation investment. Every day, logistics service providers, manufacturers, retailers, distributors, and other logistics-intensive businesses of all sizes rely on our scale, stability, and comprehensive solution footprint to move what’s most important to them. Learn more at www.descartes.com.
We’re growing fast and invite you to join our amazing team.
We are looking for a highly motivated and results-oriented individual to join our DBA Team. This role requires a service-oriented mentality, high sense of ownership of the problems and requests assigned and a focus on managing and resolving issues within a team-based environment. The Senior Oracle Database Administrator will be responsible for Oracle RAC databases in our Philadelphia and Maryland data centers and the successful incumbent will be a key member of the Mobile Software Operations (MSO) team providing both operational and application DBA support for Descartes software Oracle datastores. You will have operational responsibility for ensuring 24×7 availability and optimal performance of all databases. Application DBA technical responsibilities involve working closely with development as the Oracle SME to guide design, best practice development approaches and SQL tuning.
• Perform on-call duties on a rotational basis with other team members.
• Develop fluency and familiarity with application data model and queries to quickly and efficiently respond to issues and assist with developers and QA
• Develop expertise using our best-in-class backup environment to manage backup policies, validate backups, perform restores
• Install, patch and update Oracle Grid Infrastructure and Database software and Oracle Linux systems.
• Work with Oracle support efficiently
• Understand network requirements on Linux servers and define network configuration
• Work with cross product, cross functional teams including development, professional services, finance.
• Participate in modernization efforts, feasibility, cost analysis and planning for migration to cloud based database systems
• Maintaining detailed awareness of the interconnected components of the database, network, storage and application server to understand the impact of changes or problems in one or more of the components
• Initiate and perform changes on production systems in accordance with the RFC process.
• Creation and maintenance of documentation and procedures related to assigned tasks or projects.
• Perform on-call duties on a rotational basis with other team members.
• Plan and carry out after-hours changes to meet business and operational needs.
• A degree or diploma in IT, computer science or related discipline.
• 5+ years of experience with Oracle database technologies is required
• Technical proficiency in Oracle 19 RAC implementation
• Demonstrated knowledge of backup and recovery
• Oracle Enterprise Linux installation including OS and network configuration
• Knowledge of disk subsystem technologies and configurations (SAN, iSCSI, LUN, etc.).
• Technical proficiency with SQL tuning option and optimization using Grid Control and native PL/SQL packages
• Experience creating and implementing operational automation using PL/SQL and Linux shell scripts
• Knowledge of indexes, index management and statistics.
• Experience managing users, groups, roles, authentication and authorization for databases.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent communication and documentation skills.
• Self-motivated, passionate, innovative, and strong sense of accountability and ownership
• Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
• Fit into an entrepreneurial culture that is a fast-paced and pro-active environment
• Familiar with change management and ITIL processes.
• Data model design and best practices
• Exposure to: Cloud Computing, Web Services and applications, object-orientated design, development and database technologies Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
We offer a flexible and casual work environment, as well as mentorship and on-the-job training to support your personal growth. You will have an opportunity to contribute new ideas and we welcome your fresh perspective
Location: This is a remote opportunity open to applicants authorized to work in one of these countries such as Brazil , Uruguay or Argentina.
As we scale, we’re looking for new doers, collaborators and innovators to join Descartes in uniting the people and technology that move the world as the Global Leader in Logistics and Supply Chain Technology. We’re entrepreneurial, hardworking, geeky-in-a-good way problem solvers. Guided by our values, we nurture a TEAM focused culture that invests in people and creates opportunities for advancement across a broad spectrum of career paths. We prioritize work-life balance and foster an environment with the space to take ownership, to be heard, and to carve a path for your individual accomplishments to help drive our success. At Descartes, everyone has a voice and the best argument wins, regardless of who makes it. We offer competitive compensation, great benefits, remote and flexible work hours, and the opportunity to join a company on an awesome mission with a great existing team and trajectory.
Descartes also has a deep sense of environmental responsibility. Learn more about how we helped our customers save over 552,000 metric tons of CO2 in 2020 by reducing fuel and paper consumption: https://www.descartes.com/who-we-are/social-responsibility-sustainability/environmental-impact. Join a team that’s committed to working with customers to conserve resources and enhance sustainability.
If you feel you have 70% of the qualifications we are looking for, and Descartes sounds like the team and the mission you want to be part of, apply now. We can’t promise it will be a fit, but we do promise to consider your experience.
Through COVID-19, we implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview and onboard candidates by video using Microsoft TEAMS. We record interviews and use them strictly for quality assurance, training and general record keeping purposes. Should you have any questions about this process, please connect with our hiring team in advance of scheduled interviews. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
We are an Equal Employment employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please review our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics at Descartes.com.
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://jobs.descartes.com/job/Senior-Database-Administrator/565785817/?feedId=349560&utm_source=CareerSite&tcsource=apply&utm_campaign=Descartes_WordPress→