Descartes Unites the People and Technology that Move the World
The need for efficient, secure, and agile supply chains and logistics operations has become ever more critical and complex. By combining innovative technology, powerful trade intelligence and the reach of our network, Descartes helps get goods, information, transportation assets, and people where they’re needed, when they’re needed.
We’re one of the most broadly deployed logistics and supply chain technology companies in the world. More than 22,000 customers around the globe use our cloud-based solutions to transform the way they move inventory and information to enhance productivity, better serve customers, thrive competitively, keep pace with evolving regulations, and respond to rapidly changing market conditions. Descartes is publicly traded (Nasdaq:DSGX, TSX:DSG) with headquarters in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, and offices and partners around the world. With record financial performance for more than 16 years, we lead the industry in innovation investment. Every day, logistics service providers, manufacturers, retailers, distributors, and other logistics-intensive businesses of all sizes rely on our scale, stability, and comprehensive solution footprint to move what’s most important to them. Learn more at www.descartes.com.
We’re growing fast and invite you to join our amazing team.
The Linux Engineer will be responsible with maintaining an environment of Linux systems on-prem and in the cloud and enhance the environment with automation and new technologies. As a Linux Admin/DevOPS you will need to remain current with technology trends and manage a technology roadmap in line with the business requirements. The Linux Admin/DevOPS will be reporting to the IT department.
- Maintaining and securing the Linux systems.
- Working with the infrastructure and development teams to ensure optimal uptime performance.
- Monitoring Linux systems for availability and performance.
- Support our transition to DevOPS from a traditional IT environment.
- Project management: planning, organizing, and leading.
- Document support docs to facilitate timely and effective support of infrastructure.
- Lead activities of Linux staff to diagnose and resolve client problems.
- Contribute to the development, communication and implementation of policies, procedures, best practices, recommendations, and guidelines for standards.
- Support a Linux environment for a 24/7 schedule.
- Other duties as assigned and required.
- Excellent knowledge of OS’s such as RedHat/Rocky/Oracle Linux/Ubuntu, networks and services.
- Experience with configuration management tool such as Ansible.
- Strong skills in Public Cloud environments (AWS and Azure).
- Advanced experience with at least one scripting or programming language (Bash, Perl, Python, etc.)
- Knowledge with pipelines (Gitlab, Azure DevOps etc.).
- Experience with Kubernetes and Rancher.
- Knowledge of security best practices to protect data from intrusion, loss, and corruption.
- Strong knowledge of Apache and Nginx server configuration and management.
- Strong knowledge with LDAP, SSL, SMTP, DNS, SFTP/FTPS, Zabbix, GITLAB, NTP
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to new environments, and the ability to identify, propose and implement changes and improvements
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a deadline driven, fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively handle multiple concurrent projects and/or tasks.
Training/certification in any of the following is strongly desired:
- Red Hat Certified (RHCSA) or (RHCE)
- Red Had Ansible Automation Certification.
- Kubernetes certified.
- Azure/AWS certified.
Required Education/Year of Experience:
- College diploma or university degree in computer science or equivalent.
- 8 years of hands-on, verifiable Linux experience.
As we scale, we’re looking for new doers, collaborators and innovators to join Descartes in uniting the people and technology that move the world as the Global Leader in Logistics and Supply Chain Technology. We’re entrepreneurial, hardworking, geeky-in-a-good way problem solvers. Guided by our values, we nurture a TEAM focused culture that invests in people and creates opportunities for advancement across a broad spectrum of career paths. We prioritize work-life balance and foster an environment with the space to take ownership, to be heard, and to carve a path for your individual accomplishments to help drive our success.
Descartes also has a deep sense of environmental responsibility. Learn more about how we helped our customers save over 552,000 metric tons of CO2 in 2020 by reducing fuel and paper consumption: https://www.descartes.com/who-we-are/social-responsibility-sustainability/environmental-impact. Join a team that’s committed to working with customers to conserve resources and enhance sustainability.
At Descartes, everyone has a voice and the best argument wins, regardless of who makes it. We offer competitive compensation, great benefits, remote and flexible work hours, and the opportunity to join a company on an awesome mission with a great existing team and trajectory. If you feel you have 70% of the qualifications we are looking for, and Descartes sounds like the team and the mission you want to be part of, apply now. We can’t promise it will be a fit, but we do promise to consider your experience.
Through COVID-19, we implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview and onboard candidates by video using Microsoft TEAMS. We record interviews and use them strictly for quality assurance, training and general record keeping purposes. Should you have any questions about this process, please connect with our hiring team in advance of scheduled interviews. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please review our EEO is the Law, Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Statement, EEO/AA Statement. Descartes participates in the E-Verify program. Please click below to learn more about the E-Verify program. Notice of E-Verify Participation Right to Work (English and Spanish).
Descartes is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. Applicants in North America with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can email us at [email protected]. Provide your name and contact information along with the accommodation needed to assist you with the application process. Your request will be responded to as soon as possible. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://jobs.descartes.com/job/Zilina-Linux-Engineer-010-01/565843617/?feedId=349560&utm_source=CareerSite&tcsource=apply&utm_campaign=Descartes_WordPress→